Unattended Children Policy
This policy has been adopted to insure the safety and well-being of all children who use Boyden Library.
- It is the responsibility of the parents/caregivers to insure the safety of the child inside the library and on library property.
- The library assumes no responsibility for the whereabouts of an unattended child.
- Children ages 10 and older may use the library unattended. However, parents/caregivers/guardians are responsible for the behavior and safety of the child.
- Children ages 0-9 must have a parent/caregiver/guardian present in the Children’s Room at all times.
- A parent/caregiver/guardian must be present for the duration of a program for children that have cognitive, physical, or emotional conditions that may render supervision.
- During school hours, minors are not allowed in the library without being accompanied by their guardians.
- Teenagers are considered adult users. However, they are the legal responsibility of their parent/legal guardian and should have an emergency contact available.
Approved: Boyden Library Board of Trustees - January 5, 2016
- Boyden Library will issue a SAILS Library Network card to any Massachusetts resident. There is no charge for the first card: replacement cards are available for a $1.00 fee.
- Written proof of residency is required.
- A valid card is required to borrow materials, access the Internet, and to reserve and check-out museum passes.
- Children must be old enough to write their name (first name is okay) and must visit the library with a parent or legal guardian at the time of application.
- The child's parent or legal guardian must present verification of address and a photo ID at the time of application. If a driver's license does not show where the family currently lives, an offical piece of mail such as a utility bill, a lease, or a piece of mail from the child's school can be submitted.
- The child's application must be signed by a parent or legal guardian. This shows that the parent or legal guardian accepts responsibility for materials borrowed with the card.
- The cost to replace a lost library card is $1.00.
- Everyone must bring their library card when checking out materials from the library.
- High Demand fiction and non-fiction: 2 weeks
- Fiction, non-fiction, all childrens books: 4 weeks
- Magazines: 2 weeks
- Books on CD and music CDs: 2 weeks
- DVDs: 1 week
- Rental Books: 1 week
- Returnable Museum Passes: 2 days
- Curriculum kits: 2 weeks
- Hotspots: 1 week
- Automatic Renewals: Items will automatically be renewed for one additional loan period, except for those materials that have holds.
The Library reserves the right to limit the number of items in cases of high demand for some part of the collection.
- General Borrowing: $.05 per day/$1 maximum
- Museum Passes: $5 per day/$25 maximum
- DVDs: $.50 per day/$5 maximum
- Hotspots: $10 per day/$50 maximum
- Rental Books: $.25 per day/$10 maximum